Real-Time Analysis of Low-Volatile Metabolites in Breath
What is it
· SUPER SESI is an ionizationsource specifically optimized for breath analysis on high performance massspectrometers
· Theperson exhales through a disposable mouth piece, and the regulator passes aconstant fraction of the flow to the ionization region
· Inthe ionization region, a nano-Electrospray creates the primary ions, whichtransfer their charge to the metabolites of interest
· Ionizedmetabolites are efficiently transferred to the mass
spectrometer for analysis
· UPER SESI is compatible with main instruments inthe market, such as Thermo and Sciex
· Nofragmentation is produced. This is because SESI does not involve a high energy region. Ultimately, this simplifies the spectra, thusimproving the limits of detection
· Plug and breath: SUPER SESI incorporates all the componentsand controls required to start a breath biomarker discovery campaign. It isready to connect with the MS and start analyzing
· Real time analysis: Breath is ionized and analyzed as it isexhaled. No sample preparation is required. This reduces the chances that aforeign confounding effect distorts the data
· High sensitivity: from 5·10-4 Bar to 2.7·10-7 Bar, SUPER SESI has been carefully designed toefficiently ionize low volatility metabolites. More different species can bedetected
· Optimizedforhigh biological significant metabolites: large molecules have very low volatility. They areproduced at very low concentrations, and tend to stick in the walls of thesource. SUPER SESI operates at high temperature, integrates high technologysilica coatings to reduce chemical interactions, and it is designed to minimizecontact with the inner walls
Superior limits ofdetection
· Identifying a reliable biomarker is a verychallenging task. Identifying reliable biomarkers in breath is more challengingbecause metabolites are very diluted, and mixed with inhaled air and othervolatile organic compounds.
· SUPER SESI has been carefully designed tooptimize the ionization efficiency, and the background levels. This results inunprecedented limits of detection for low volatility species.
· The ionization chamber can be easilyopened, and all parts of the chamber are readily accessible and can be cleanedin a very rapid operation.
· SUPERSESI in combination with High Resolution Mass Spectrometers provides real-timedetection of species with sensitivities below the ppt level, with unique peakassignment capabilities.
SUPER SESI can be applied in the following researches
Disease markers inbreath samples discovered by SUPER SESI
The choice of research institutes
SUPER SESI hasbeen used by numerous research institutes around the world, for example:
- University Children’s Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
- Universitäts- und Kinderspital beider Basel,Switzerland
- Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori (INT), Milan, Italy